Team Composition for the 2019 – 2020 Season
Published April 2019
The USODA USNT Committee supports a National Team comprised of up to 36 sailors (not including seniors) based upon 2019 Optimist Team Trials results, and approximately 42 sailors based upon 2019 Optimist Spring Team Qualifier results. Up to 5 additional sailors may be added to the National Team at the discretion of the USNT Committee and the USNT Performance Director at any time during the season.
Summary of Qualification Criteria and Team Composition
Selection Process for the 2019 – 2020 Season
The top 36 finishers at the 2019 Optimist Team Trials will be invited to join the National Team for the 2019-20 season.
- Sailors will be invited to join the teams based on the order of their finishes at Team Trials.
- Sailors will be required to accept or turn down the invitation to join the team and will be required to pay a membership fee of $650 to accept their invitation.
- Only those sailors accepting invitations and paying their membership dues from among the top 36 finishers (not including age-outs) will be named to the National Team.
- Sailors turning 15 years old between Team Trials and the end of the calendar year (age-outs) who finish among the top 36 will be offered Senior spots on the teams, but these will not be counted towards the 36 allocated spots. Senior spots are available only after Team Trials and are not offered after the Spring Team Qualifier.
- So long as a sailor is eligible to compete in the Opti, he or she is eligible to hold a place on the team for all or part of the year.
- There will be no minimum number of sailors on the team. For example, if only 30 of the top 36 sailors decide to join the USNT after the 2019 Optimist Team Trials, then the team will remain at 30 sailors until the 2019 Optimist Spring Team Qualifier.
- Sailors who accept an invitation to the USNT will remain members of the team until the next Team Trials unless they become ineligible due to aging out as described above, disciplinary action or they choose to withdraw from the team.
Additional sailors will be invited to join the USNT based on the results of the 2019 Optimist Spring Team Qualifier.
- Sailors finishing among the top 15 places at the Spring Team Qualifier and not already members of the USNT will be invited to join the USNT.
- Sailors invited to join based upon the 2019 Optimist Spring Team Qualifier results will be required to pay a membership fee of $500.
- Sailors who accept invitations and paying their membership dues after the 2019 Optimist Spring Team Qualifier will remain members of the USNT until the 2020 Optimist Team Trials.
In addition to spots designated for the USNT at Team Trials and at Spring Team Qualifier, the USNT Committee and the USNT Performance Director may, within their sole discretion, add up to five (5) sailors to the USNT at any time during the season. Such discretion will be reserved for sailors with special circumstances that may have prevented the sailor from competing and/or qualifying for invitation at Team Trials or Spring Team Qualifier, but where the sailor has exhibited the high skill level otherwise required to qualify for invitation to the USNT. Sailors may not petition for special invitation. Any sailors invited to join the USNT during the season at the discretion of the USNT Committee and USNT Performance Director will be required to pay a membership fee of $650.
- Sailors who qualify for a summer or spring international team and who are not members of the USNT may be invited as guest sailors to one (1) USNT practice at the discretion of the USNT Committee and the USNT Performance Director. If a non-USNT sailor qualifies for both a summer regatta and spring regatta, the sailor may be invited to two (2) practices. The sailor will not become a member of the USNT, but he or she will have the opportunity to train with one or more coaches and fellow sailors from the international team of which he/she is a part.
- IODA teams may be linked to specific USNT practices. Head coaches of the international teams will lead these practices, and where possible, other coaches attending the international event will be invited to the practice as well. This will give coaches and sailors the opportunity to meet and work together prior to the international event.
- Additional guest sailors from the clubs hosting or coordinating the practices will be invited to each of the USNT practices. The number of guest sailors from the host club invited to a practice will depend on the size of the practice, with guest sailors not to make up more than 20% of the sailors attending the practice. The maximum number of guest sailors shall be five (5) from the host club.
- Guest sailors will pay a registration fee $100 higher than the fee paid by USNT members.
- All guest sailors must be Team Trials Qualified in order to attend a practice, except for the first practice of the season (e.g., Kick-Off Practice in June).
- Guest sailors will not become members of the USNT.
Membership and Practice Fees
Qualified sailors joining the USNT in the spring will be required to pay a membership fee of $650, and those joining after the Spring Team Qualifier will be required to pay a membership fee of $500.
- Membership fees will be non-refundable.
- Practice fees will be assessed on a per-event basis similar to the way regatta fees are charged, and registration will be managed on the USODA website.
- Sailors must travel within the USNT published travel times and guidelines for each practice. USODA or the USNT Committee will not be responsible for changes in ticketing required when the guidelines are not followed.
- USNT members are expected to register for practices prior to the established deadline, which is usually six (6) weeks prior to the start of practice. Space permitting, if a sailor registers for a practice within a one-week window after the general registration deadline, a late fee of $175 will be assessed.
- Practice Refund Policy:
> If a sailor cancels before the initial registration deadline, then they may receive a full refund.
> If a sailor cancels after the initial deadline, but before registration closes (so within the "late fee" period), then they may receive a refund for the practice fee less the $175 late fee.
> If a sailor cancels after registration closes then there is no refund since coaches have been confirmed, flights paid for, etc.
- The same rules apply to International Team guests with respect to registration deadlines, late fees, and cancellation fees. Though Host Club guests will not be assessed any late fees or cancellation fees, they must have completed the registration process prior to the start of the practice to which they have been invited.